When Barack Obama ran for President in 2008, he promised change. And today, his Administration delivered a big change to our relationship with Israel. In a stunning move reversing years of policy, the Administration announced it would lend support to a UN Security Council statement rebuking Israel for its stance on the settlements in the Gaza Strip. Rumor has it this move was done so the US wouldn't have to veto a UN Security Council resolution by the Palestinians condemning Israel.
Wow. What bold leadership there, huh?
We can debate endlessly over which side is right when it comes to the Gaza Strip, but let's look at some facts.
Here are some facts about Israel, the country we're rebuking:
- Under Israeli law, Muslims have as much freedom as Jewish citizens do, including the right to vote or own a business.
- Although Israel has earned quite a bit of land through military actions, it has given most of the land back through peace treaties.
- Israel has produced numerous Nobel winners in the areas of science and medicine.
- Although the land in Israel is arid, the Israelis have managed to find ways to make the land prosperous.
- Israel is a strong military ally whose form of government is similar to our own in many ways.
- The United States played a sizable role in Israel's reformation in the 1940s.
And we're rebuking these folks?