The last night of the DNC...
1) I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bill Richardson with a Van Dyke reminds me of the Mirror Universe episode of "Star Trek." Until I see proof to the contrary, I'm saying he's the Mirror Universe Bill Richardson.
2) Richardson mentioned the "McCain voted with Bush 95% of the time" and then asked the audience if this is an indication of being his own man. With not even an iota of irony in the crowd, the crowd all chanted in unison, "No."
3) Last night at the convention, we saw whites and blacks coming together. Tonight, we're seeing more Hispanics. I guess the Democrats' new slogan is "Vote for Us: We're Ethnic!"
4) Something you might not have noticed is that the estimates for the people attending Obama's speech tonight. The initial estimates were at over 80,000, but as the week has gone on, that number has shrunk to 60,000. Could the Obamessiah be losing his touch?
5) The Gallup daily tracking polls shows Obama back up by 6% after three days of the DNC. Before then, John McCain was up by 1. Just on three nights of the DNC, Obama has made up 7 points. Watch for his speech tonight to catapult him into double digits, possible into a double digit lead over McCain. And then watch it tumble back to a tighter race within a week or two.
6) Speaking of McCain, I have to hand it to his campaign. They've managed to hit at Obama where it hurts with funny and informative ads. Even the ads not connected to the McCain campaign have been very well done. And the fact that the Obama folks haven't been able to counter them effectively or at all speaks volumes.
7) Joe Biden's acceptance speech last night was...interesting in that it followed the same pattern as the multitude of speakers before him. But the thing is he really didn't get the applause until he was done. Bill Clinton, on the other hand, had to try to keep down the applause. The only thing that might have saved Biden is the fact that Obama came out as a "surprise guest" at the end of Biden's speech. Obama/Biden is turning into the political equivalent of The Odd Couple.
8) While we're on the subject, who in their right minds thinks Joe Biden or Barack Obama knows anything about blue collar workers? Didn't think so. Moving on...
9) One song that I'm sure didn't make Stevie Wonder's song list for the Obama rally: "Superstitious."
10) Al Gore coming out to "Let the Sunshine In"? Not only is it a bad hippie song (which coincides with Gore being a bad hippie), but doesn't the sun make a planet, say...the Earth, warmer? I'm thinking there's an RNC mole in the DNC doing the song lists.
11) Even though it's been a number of years since he's been in the spotlight, you can still count on Al Gore to give a damn boring speech.
And lastly before the Obamessiah's speech...
12) Have you noticed the Obama/Biden signs? Obama's name is in bold as bright as anything, and Biden's name? Not so much. It's almost like they're trying to hide him on the ticket or something.
A wrap-up post tomorrow...or at least until the Obama folks try to shut me down for posting non-glowing commentary about the Obamessiah!