Monday, December 21, 2009

"We Have Seen the Enemy..."

Early this morning, Senate Democrats pushed through a vote to block Republican delays on the health care reform bill that all but guarantees its passage before Christmas. Hours before the vote, Senator John McCain appeared on "Fox News Sunday" and said there was probably nothing the Senate Republicans could do to stop it, but that Senate Republicans would "fight to the last vote."

The problem is we didn't really get a chance to see the Senate Republicans fight for the first vote.

It's time Republicans come to the realization that their Congressional leadership, such as it is, has betrayed them. It was a subtle betrayal, one that took years to come to fruition. What was once a party that represented fiscal responsibility, personal freedom, and small government has become a party of largesse, statism, and irresponsibility. But so many people, myself included for a number of years, were caught up in the "red versus blue" gamesmanship that we believed Republicans were different. If only we could have gotten Republicans elected, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Are you sure? I'm not anymore. Just voting for a Republican isn't going to solve the problems of this nation because Republicans learned over the past decade or so how cool it was to spend money we didn't have on projects we didn't really need, but would help them get reelected. In short, they became the very thing they bashed. Can anyone really tell me there's a difference between Olympia Snowe and Arlen Specter? Between John McCain and Charles Schumer? It's getting harder and harder to find a difference.

And it's one huge reason that, contrary to the claims of a certain Leftist blogger who hates me and yet can't posting about me, I do not support the current Republican Party in any way. And, no, I'm not a Libertarian any more, either, for the same reason I'm not a Republican: they went too far left for my tastes. (Figured I'd clarify that for Mr. Leftist Blogger, since he seems to think I'm a Republican who claims to be a Libertarian, not that he'd man up and admit he has been wrong about me from the very beginning...)

So what am I?

I'm an American who wants the GOP to stop being Democrat Lite.

I'm an American who wants Democrats to get their heads out of their collectivist backsides and realize that their party has been taken over by people who want government to control every aspect of their lives.

I'm an American who wants to see us get back to a government of the people, by the people, for the people.

I'm an American who wants America to go back to a limited constitutional government that allows people maximum freedom with maximum responsibility.

And I'm not alone. And that should scare the hell out of the Washington elite and their lemming followers.

No comments: