Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Bailout: A Real Step in the Right Direction

For the past week, I've been trying to give the proposed $700 billion bailout the benefit of the doubt. I've listened to both sides make their case and even speculated that the bailout might be necessary because of what could have happened if we didn't. But now...not so much. I'm now like Howard Beale from "Network": I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore.

The more I dig into this bailout, the more I realize it's not about saving the country from the impact of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae being fiscally risky. It's about saving Democrats from the consequences of their horrific attempts at socioeconomic engineering via government largesse. I won't go through the details because I'm sure you've seen/read/heard how Democrats have blocked meaningful oversight of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Instead, it's time we stop playing games with the Democrats. Weak sauce rhetoric from Republicans isn't going to cut it. I'm going with something a bit more appropriate.

That's right. I'm talking prosecution.

I'm not just talking about arresting the particulars who made millions through questionable accounting practices. I'm talking about arresting the members of Congress who have allowed these practices to go unpunished. Having people like Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, and Nancy Pelosi lecture us about how bad things are because of Republicans is the straw that broke this pundit's back. There has to be some sort of legal recourse, and it's time we push for it the Democrats responsible for this mess to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. These folks shouldnt be allowed to hold onto the cash box at a garage sale, let alone make decisions that impact our economy.

Leading these Democrat scumbags out of the Capitol Building in handcuffs would be a step in the right direction for this bailout. Then, we could figure out how to do it without putting taxpayers on the hook and taking Democrats off.

No comments: