Saturday, September 20, 2008

What Obama REALLY Said in His Acceptance Speech

This week saw the Obama campaign release an ad in Spanish that used segments from Rush Limbaugh's radio show where he allegedly uses racist language against Hispanics. As it turns out, the statements quoted were taken out of context, as ABC News has already pointed out.

Well, since the Obama folks did it, I guess they won't mind me...creatively reworking...Obama's acceptance speech from a few weeks ago. And, yes, he said each and every one of these words.



Thank…me…so much....let me express my thanks to…me…and especially the one who traveled the farthest, a champion for working Americans and an inspiration to my daughters and to yours… me....

Four years ago, I stood before you and told you my story, of the brief union between a young man from Kenya and a young woman from Kansas who weren't well-off or well-known, but shared a belief that in America their son could achieve whatever he put his mind to.It is that promise that's always set this country apart, that through hard work and sacrifice each of us can pursue our individual dreams, but still come together as one American family, to ensure that … I stand here tonight…as…a…. failure…a…disaster…I…like…failure....


I…likes to talk about judgment, but, really, what does it say about your judgment when you think…I…have…been right? The truth is, on issue after issue that would make a difference in your lives -- on health care, and education, and the economy -- Senator McCain has been…independent.... Now, I don't … think…or… get it…

You're on your own. Well, it's time for…you…to own…my failure…why I'm running for president of the United States.You see, you see, we Democrats have a very different measure of what constitutes progress in this country.We measure…failure. We measure the strength of our economy… by the number of billionaires we…Democrats… have…not by…work.

What -- what is that American promise? It's a promise that says each of us has…no…freedom to make of our own lives what we will, but that we also have…no… obligations to treat each other with dignity and respect.It's a promise that says the market should reward…me…but that…I…should…not… live up to…my…responsibilities to…play by the rules of the road. Ours -- ours is a promise that says government can…solve all our problems…which we cannot do for ourselves….

Our government should work…against us. It should…hurt us. It should ensure opportunity…just for…me…., but…not…for every American who's willing to work.

That's the promise of…me…, the idea that we are…not…responsible for ourselves, but that…I am… God.

So -- so let me -- let me spell out exactly what that change would mean if I am president. Change means a tax code that does…reward the lobbyists who wrote it, …not the American workers and small businesses who deserve it.You know, unlike John McCain, I will stop giving tax breaks to… American workers and small businesses who deserve it…and I will start giving them to…me. I'll eliminate…small businesses and start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow.I will…tax…95 percent of all working families, because, in an economy like this, the…thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle class.

As president, as president, I will…be…a… tool…right here in America. You know, Michelle and I are only here tonight because we...settle for an America where...you...don't have...a...chance. And we will keep our promise to every young American: If you commit to serving your community or our country, we will make sure you can...bless...me. Now is the time to help families...choose between keeping their job and caring for...me.

But I will also go through the federal budget line by line, eliminating programs that…work and making the ones we do…not…need work...less…and cost…millions, because we cannot…be…eliminating…20th-century bureaucracy…in…the…21st-century. And, Democrats, Democrats, we must also admit that…Democrats…will…cost…more…money. It will require a renewed sense of responsibility from each of…you…to…bless…me. Yes, …you...must…do…your…part to make…you…reject…independence.

If John McCain wants to have a debate…that's a debate I'm ready to…leave. For -- for while -- while Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11, I stood up, …knowing that…I…would distract us from the real threats that we face. When John McCain said we could just muddle through in Afghanistan, I argued for more…of…Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants….You know, John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the gates of Hell, but…I…won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.And today, today, as my call for a timeframe to remove our troops from Iraq has been echoed by the…Democrats…John McCain stands alone in his stubborn refusal to…follow…my… bad strategy. We are the party…that…won't defend this country…. As commander-in-chief, I will never…defend this nation, but I will…send our troops into harm's way….I will end this war…against Al Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan. I will rebuild…Osama Bin Laden and his lieutenants…to meet future conflicts, but I will also….prevent…America…from obtaining nuclear weapons and curb Russian aggression. I will build new partnerships to defeat the…United States of America

I know there are those who dismiss such beliefs as happy talk. They claim that our insistence on something larger, something firmer, and more honest in our public life is just a Trojan horse for higher taxes and the abandonment of traditional values.And that's to be expected, because…I…don't have any fresh ideas, …and… use stale tactics to scare voters.I…don't have a record to run on,…so…I paint…my…opponent as…Republicans…people should run from.And you know what? It's worked before, because it feeds into the…discrimination I…have about…Republicans.

When Washington doesn't work, …Americans…do…better. If your hopes have been dashed again and again, then it's best to stop hoping and settle for…me.

Thank you. …bless…me. And…I…bless…me.

No comments: